2001 - Associate Professor of Art, Metalsmithing & Jewelry Area Coordinator, Myers School of Art, University of Akron, Akron, OH
2000 – 2001 Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
1999 – 2000 Adjunct Instructor, Art Department, State University of New York at New Paltz, NY
Instructional Support Technician, Metals Department, State University of New York at New Paltz, NY
Visiting Artist Coordinator, Metals Department Visiting Artist Series, State University of New York at New Paltz, NY
1998 MFA, State University of New York at New Paltz, New Paltz, NY
1992 BFA, University of Akron, Akron, OH
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS:
2016 Reflections & Transparencies, The Box Gallery, Summit Art Space, Akron, OH
2010 Sherry Simms: New Work, The Alloy Gallery, Newport Beach, RI
2006 Jewelry by Sherry Simms, The Carnegie, Covington, TN
2002 Sherry Simms , The Sybaris Gallery, Royal Oaks, MI
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
2017 Heavy Metal, The Akron Art Museum, Akron, OH
Waterloo Juried Art Show, Waterloo Art Center, Cleveland, OH
2015 Adorn: Contemporary Wearable Art, Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, IL
Bead, Greater Reston Art Center, Reston, VA
2014 Bioforms + Metacosms, Harris Stanton Gallery, Akron, OH
2013 Earrings Galore, The Heidi Lowe Gallery, Rehoboth Beach, DE
Pop-Up Exhibition, The Heidi Lowe Gallery, SNAG Conference, Toronto, Canada
Cufflinks, Alloy Gallery, Newport Beach, RI
2012 Pinned & Pined For, The Screw Factory Galleries, Cleveland, OH
Gilded Grace, Alloy Gallery, Newport Beach, RI
Earrings Galore, The Heidi Lowe Gallery, Rehoboth Beach, DE
2011 Alloy Goes Incognito, Santa Monica Art Museum, Santa Monica, CA
Shape, Indiana University Kokomo Art Gallery, Kokomo, IN
2010 Commingling: Jewelry 2010, William Busta Gallery, Cleveland, OH
2008 Out of The Shell, Loupe Gallery, Monte Claire, NJ
2007 Cross Over, Emily H. Davis Gallery, Akron, OH
2006 Grand Opening Exhibition, Loupe Gallery, Montclair, NJ
2005 Production, The Jewelry Studio, Rehoboth Beach, DE
Multiplicity, SPACES Gallery, Cleveland, OH
Sparkle Plenty, Quirk Gallery, Richmond, VA
Alternatives: Materials / Means, Bannister Gallery, Rhode Island College, Providence, RI
2004 Educators / Educate: Jewelry & Metals in Ohio, The Riffe Gallery, Columbus, OH
Hammer & Hand, Center Art Gallery, Grand Rapids, MI
A Work in Progress: Long Hours, No Pay, The National Ornamental Metal Museum, Memphis, TN
Materials Regional, South Bend Regional Museum of Art, South Bend, IN
Alchemy: Transforming Material. Technique and Idea, Penland Gallery, Penland, NC
2003 Current Directions: Studio Art Jewelry, Delaware Center For The Contemporary Arts, Wilmington, DE
Beauty Mark, The B.K. Smith Gallery, Painesville, OH
2002 Cumulative Effects, Penland Gallery, Penland, NC
Markers In Contemporary Metal, Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art, State University of New York at New Paltz, New Paltz, NY
Transmutations, Glass Gallery, The University of Texas at El Paso, TX
Vanity of Vanities, NML Gallery, Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee, WI
21st Century Metalsmiths: Individual and Collaborative Works, New Art Center, Newton, ME
2000 Exhibition-in-Print, SOFA Chicago Exhibition, Chicago, IL
Metal Marvels Exhibition, The Arts Center, St. Petersburg, FL
Women Consuming, Women Consumed, Matrix Arts, Sacramento, CA
A Closer Look: Contemporary Metalwork + Jewelry, James Howe Fine Arts Gallery, Kean University, Union, NJ
Materials Hard & Soft 2000, The Meadows Gallery, The Center for the Visual Arts, Denton,TX
SELECTED GRANTS & FELLOWSHIPS:
2017 Knight Foundation Akron Art Challenge Grant, Miami, Florida
Faculty Summer Research Fellowship, The University of Akron, Ohio
Folk Grant, Myers School of Art, UA, Akron, Ohio. (2014, 2012, 2008, 2004, 2001)
2015 Individual Excellence Award, Ohio Arts Council, Columbus, Ohio.
2013 PNC Neighborhood Wish List Grant, Akron, Ohio
2009 Materials Grant, Myers School of Art, The University of Akron.
2007 Myers Grant, Myers School of Art, The University of Akron. (2005, 2003,2001)
2006 Artist in Residence, The University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
Faculty Summer Research Grant, The University of Akron. Ohio.
2005 Artist In Residency Fellowship, Jentel Artist Residency Program, Banner, Wyoming.
2003 Individual Artist Fellowship, Ohio Arts Council, Columbus, Ohio. (1992)
Current Perspectives: Recent Work by The University of Akron’s Myers School of Art Jewelry & Metalsmithing Students, The Hower House Museum, Akron, OH. 2015
Out of the Shell; Re-Contextualizing the Pearl in Contemporary Jewelry. Gallery Loupe, Monte Claire, NJ (May 1 – June 15, 2008) The University of Akron’s Emily H. Davis Gallery, Akron, OH (July 15 – October 4, 2008). Catalog produced to accompany exhibition. (Co-Curator with Sayumi Yakouchi), 2008
Cross Over Exhibition, Emily H. Davis Gallery, Akron, OH (Co – organized with Kate Budd). 2007
Exhibition In Motion, 2005 Cleveland SNAG Conference, Rock And Roll Hall of Fame (June 25, 2005). 2005
Devilish, Decedent, Delicious, Emily H. Davis Gallery, Myers School of Art, Akron, OH (Co – Curated exhibition with Donna Webb and Kate Budd, fellow Myers School of Art Faculty). 2004
- Shinn, Dorothy, “State Winners at UA”, The Akron Beacon Journal, May 28, 2015.
- Shinn, Dorothy, “Speaker Series 'Slide Jam' Returns to Museum - Topics Chosen to Inspire Discussion, Creativity”, The Akron Beacon Journal, March 19, 2015.
- ·Jenkins, Mark, “With Wires and Beads, Exhibits Dangle Intrigue In Front of Visitors’ Eyes”, The Washington Post, February 20, 2015.
- The Artists of Rubber City. Present Tense: Contemporary Art in Ohio, Artist of Rubber City . Akron Community Foundation. 2014
- Dietz, Ulysses Grant, “ Out of the Shell: Recontextualizing the Pearl in Contemporary Culture, Metalsmith, Vol 29, No1, 2009, p. 50-51.
- Out of the Shell: Re-Contextualizing the Pearl in Contemporary Jewelry, Exhibition Catalog. 2008.
- Shinn, Dorothy, “ Feminist Influence shapes ‘Cross Over” “, The Akron Beacon Journal, January 14, 2007, p. E7.
- Gollberg, Joanna. The Art & Craft of Making Jewelry. 2006. Lark Books, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. p 73.
- Krupenia, Deborah, “Alternative: Material/Means”, American Craft Magazine, Vol. 65, No. 6 December 2005/January 2006. P 40.
- Farnell, Cynthia, “Birds and Bling”, The Mercury, Vol. 248, NO. 16, p 18.
- Rodriguez, Bill, “Dazzling Designs”, The Providence Phoenix, March 22, 2005.
- I Used To Hang Out Here: A Work In Progress, Long Hours No Pay, Exhibition Catalogue, The National Ornamental Metal Museum Foundation, 2004
- Tate, Christine, “Current Directions: Studio Art Jewelry”, Metalsmith, Summer 2004, volume 24 number 3, p 53.
- Roslowski, Tracey A., “Markers In Contemporary Metal”, Metalsmith, Fall 2002.
- Carley, Michal Ann, “Vanity of Vanities”, Metalsmith, Spring 2001, p 36, 41.
- Lippard, Lucy, “In Praise Of A Duller Edge: Notes From An Outsider”, SOFA Chicago 2000 Catalog, p 43.
- Exhibition In Print, Metalsmith, Exhibition in Print 2000, p 46.
- Donohue, Victoria, “Illustrator of modern fables draws audience of all ages”, The Philadelphia Inquirer, January 7, 2000.
- Quillman, Katherine, “For craftspeople, it’s an art just to get into some juried exhibits”, Inquirer Neighbors, December 26